UNDP Jobs – Communications Specialist
|Location :||Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIA|
|Application Deadline :||12-May-16 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left :||6d 7h 18m|
|Additional Category :||Management|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-C|
|Languages Required :||English|
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||12 Months|
The United Nations in Ethiopia is implementing the UN Delivering as One (DaO) approach. The approach aims at making development and humanitarian response efforts by the UN in Ethiopia more coherent and effective across the following dimensions of an integrated UN reform package: One Leader, One Programme, One Budget Framework, One Office (Shared Common Services) and Communicating as One. The UN Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) supports the UN Resident Coordinator/Humanitarian Coordinator (RC/HC) and the UN Country Team (UNCT) in advancing DaO.
Under the Communicating as One dimension, the RCO supports coherent internal and external UN system-wide communications on joint UN initiatives under the DaO approach, with a view to promoting the policy priorities and normative role of the UN system, as well as the UN’s programmatic initiatives and their achievements and development impact. A particular focus for the UN system in Ethiopia is the promotion and strategic communications of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs as part of effectively localizing and mainstreaming the SDGs into the national development agenda.
Under the guidance of the RC and direct supervision of the Head of RCO, the Communications Specialist supports the One Voice pillar of DaO and the UN Communications Group (UNCG) in ensuring that UN communications is fully aligned and supportive of the UNCT’s priorities and planned results at the level of policy advice and advocacy, programming, harmonizing business processes, and joint resource mobilization. In supporting DaO across its main pillars, the Communications Specialist should have a particular focus on: Leading on and supporting the production and publication of quality UN system content as a basis for promoting the normative and programmatic priorities of the UN; Providing strategic/operational advice and support to the UNCT and UNCG to ensure effective outreach and communications to key stakeholders about DaO and the 2030 Agenda/SDGs, targeting government, civil society, media, thematic and policy experts, development partners and other relevant stakeholders; Identifying and effectively using key messages that convey coherent strategic positioning of the UN system in Ethiopia.
Guided by global UN Development Group policies for Communicating as One, the Communications Specialist works closely with the UN Development Operations Coordination Office (DOCO) and with the UNCG to ensure that good practices and experiences from other DaO countries are applied to achieve effective UN communications in Ethiopia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Lead on and support the production, publication and dissemination of quality UN system content to promote the normative and programmatic priorities of the UN and contribute to effective partnerships and resource mobilization
- Provide strategic/operational advice and support to the UNCT and UNCG to ensure effective outreach and communications to key stakeholders about DaO, the 2030 Agenda/SDGs, and agreed thematic policy and programming priorities
- Maintain strong partnerships with the media to effectively project the objectives and results of the UN’s development and humanitarian agenda
- Manage the UN Ethiopia website and UN social media platforms (facebook, twitter)
Duties and responsibilities:
1. Lead on and support the production, publication and dissemination of quality UN system content to promote the normative and programmatic priorities of the UN and contribute to effective partnerships and resource mobilization:
- Work closely with the key UN working groups for the other DaO pillars, in particular policy (JPAT), programming (PMT) and operations (OMT) to understand and project their work and results
- Support UNCT, JPAT and PMT in the identification and formulation of key messages to support advocacy of UN priorities and promotion of UN system initiatives and results
- Liaise closely with UNDAF results groups and joint programme teams to understand their priorities, achievements and communications needs in support of effective promotion of key programmatic initiatives and joint UN resource mobilization
- Lead the development of concept notes and fact sheets for external audiences on all joint UN programmatic initiatives to promote their goals and support joint resource mobilization
- Constructive and timely advice to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into
- Develop DaO communication and advocacy instruments and materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases;
- Coordinate all publication activities, including content management, norms for publishing, design, liaison with printers and other suppliers to oversee production and dissemination;
2. Provide strategic/operational advice and support to the UNCT and UNCG to ensure effective outreach and communications to key stakeholders about DaO, the 2030 Agenda/SDGs, and agreed thematic policy and programming priorities:
- Elaborate effective UN communications strategy and action plan based on UNDAF and UNCT priorities;
- Ensure systematic and effective use of existing media channels to maximize outreach and impact of UN/DaO communications, both in the capital and all regions of the country;
- Propose and implement UN Ethiopia outreach events such as public speeches, roundtables, panel discussions, and others, in close collaboration with JPAT, PMT, OMT;
- Develop and maintain close contacts with government officials, NGOs, journalists and other key policy-makers and identify opportunities to communicate with these constituencies;
- Participate in the joint UN/NPC Task Force for the rollout of the SDGs in Ethiopia to ensure effective promotion and sensitization on the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs;
- Design and maintain outreach list to remain in contact with key audiences.
3. Maintain strong partnerships with the media to effectively project the objectives and results of the UN’s development and humanitarian agenda:
- Provide timely and effective responses to inquiries for public information materials
- Advise UNCT and other inter-agency groups on media relations and handle media inquiries;
- Develop and maintain media contacts and lists;
- Draft and distribute media advisories, news releases and other materials and design and organize media events, as appropriate, to promote activities of the UN Ethiopia
- Advise and assist UNCT and other DaO groups to include media outreach activities such as interviews or press briefings in their major activities, and arrange these activities;
- Provide access for journalists to subject matter experts;
- Provide timely strategic advice and creative solutions for dealing with sensitive communications issues and stories.
4. Manage the UN Ethiopia website and UN social media platforms (facebook, twitter):
- Design and manage the UN Ethiopia website based on corporate requirements in cooperation with relevant ICT staff;
- Manage the UN Ethiopia social media accounts (facebook, twitter);
- Prepare and provide quality assurance for the content for the UN Ethiopia website and social media accounts, ensuring frequent updates and factual accuracy;
- Track usage and popularity of all UN Ethiopia online platforms.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the common UN system
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Demonstrates excellent analytical and organizational skills
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
- In-depth knowledge on joint UN programme and operational issues;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Knowledge of UN policies and programmes in development and post-conflict situations;
- Knowledge of UN regulations, rules, policies, procedures and practices.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead and manage corporate strategic initiatives
- Excellent computer and information system skills
Management and Leadership
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates advanced oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates strong team management skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Strategic thinking, strategic decision-making and proven leadership qualities and experience in management of teams and large groups
- Demonstrates capacity to communicate effectively and plan programmes effectively
- Resourcefulness, initiative and mature judgment
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree in mass communications, Media Relations, journalism, public relations or relevant field.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in development and/or transitional operations.
- Proven experience in writing and publishing substantive content on development and social issues
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization, NGO or think tank is helpful but not mandatory;
- Previous experience working with the Communication/Public Information Department of a UN Agency is desirable;
- Knowledge of the UN system, UN reform and its operational mandates.
- Experience in the development and implementation of complex communications campaigns involving coordination and partnership with a range of actors and systems.
- Experience in national development planning processes and UN strategic planning processes would be highly desirable.
- Knowledge of the UN system, UN reform and its operational mandates.
- Fluency in English with excellent writing skills and national language of the duty station. Good knowledge of another UN language will be considered an asset.