Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-4
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : One year
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is home to the coordinating structure for the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in Ethiopia comprising representatives of 26 resident UN agencies including members representing the specialized agencies, funds and programmes based in the country.
The UNCT and the Government of Ethiopia in 2009 agreed to move forward on ‘Delivering as One in Ethiopia’, a concept aimed at improving coordination, enhancing coherence, increasing efficiency and reducing transaction costs. As part of the ‘Delivering as One’ Road Map, ‘ensuring the UN Country Team speaks with ‘One Voice’ is very important. Within this framework the joint communication efforts around strengthening common communication is one of the UNCT’s priority areas. A Communication Group comprised of communication officers from various agencies is formally institutionalised into the UNCT structure. The UNCG has been highly successful in terms of the number and magnitude of activities and also the level of joint planning, coordination and execution, demonstrating the potential of the UNCG to ‘Deliver as One’. For example, the UNCG was the lead in the process of rebranding of the UN system in Ethiopia and the revamping of the UN Ethiopia website in 2012.Therefore the UNCT requires the services of a full time communication specialist who will support the coordination mechanism of the UNCG including financial management of the UNCG part of the budget managed by the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office and work in close collaboration with the UNCG chairs in order to support the development and implementation of common communication initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Working under the direct supervision of the Head of the UNDP Communication Unit and a matrix arrangement with/ the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office, the Communication Analyst will:
- Support the UNCG Chair/s to coordinate and implement the activities and work plan of the UNCG through providing secretariat services and substantive support, including effective administrative and management of files
- Manage the UNCT website and social platforms
- Develop external communications products advocacy tools as needed
- Work closely with the Resident Coordinator’s Office to ensure strategic financial planning, implementation, and proper management of UNCG budget
- Undertake communication assignments as directed by head of the Communication Unit
Duties and responsibilities:
1. Actively contribute to the work of the Communication Unit with a specific focus on the supporting the UN Country Team’s joint communication:
- Supports initiatives to strengthen communication engagements and outputs implemented by the Communication Unit;
- Supports the drafting of speeches and talking points for the Resident Representative/Resident Coordinator;
- Provides desktop publishing and website updating and maintenance support;
- Regularly liaises with the Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) to provide communication supports to the RCO’s reporting processes including Annual Report and One Fund Annual Report;
- Provides communication support for UNCT ad-hoc events, including high-level delegation visits, and joint UN resource mobilizations for programmatic interventions as required.
2. Provides operational support to Joint UNCT Communication with specific focus on the work of the UNCG focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports the UNCG chair/s in the scheduling of meetings, planning of meeting agenda and circulation of documentation and updates;
- Ensures adequate documentation of UNCG meetings and activities, including periodic progress reports;
- Maintains up-to-date electronic and manual files on all business related to the UNCG;
- Maintains financial accounts for all UNCG business and supports the UNCG in all requirements for regular and proper financial and budgetary management, processing, and monitoring;
- Assists in the recruitment of and liaison with UNCG contractors to ensure that specifications and requirements are clearly communicated, monitored and delivered on a timely basis;
- Works closely with the Resident Coordinator’s Office on all budget and financial matters as they relate to the UNCG and joint communication outputs;
- Assists in the development and monitoring of annual joint communication plans and budgets;
- Assists in liaising with UN partners in the implementation of communication and media outreach activities;
- Assists in liaising with UN, government counterparts, CSOs and media partners in the implementation of agreed upon development communication and media outreach activities;
- Coordinates and supports the interventions on the work of UNCG sub-groups or ad-hoc bodies to achieve desired results;
- Provides planning, coordination and follow up support for all joint UNCT work plan activities related to communications, including training workshops, journalist field visits, joint media advisories and media releases, press conferences and other media outreach activities;
- Advises on events and activities to increase knowledge of Delivering as One among all UN staff and partners;
- Coordinates provision of contents (e.g. feature stories, press releases, updates, profiles and photos) from agencies for the UN website as well as for UNCG supported publications;
- Assists in information dissemination and coordination of inputs and logistics to ensure success and to maximize the involvement of UN staff in joint campaigns and advocacy activities.
3. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories;
- Supports the organization and provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff on communications.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to the UN practice areas
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UN practice areas
- Develops deep knowledge in practice areas
- Demonstrates strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to elaborate and implement communications and publications strategies
- Demonstrated effectiveness in developing advocacy campaigns, including well-written information about UNCT, its objectives and activities.
- Ability to effectively manage media engagements
- Demonstrates sound political judgment
- Demonstrates excellent ability to write and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism in both English and Amharic
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies
- Demonstrates strong IT skills including website management
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Strong team player
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Communications or related field.
- A minimum of 6 years work experience with Bachelors degree (or 4 years with Masters degree) in communications and media relations.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages including layout and design software for publications.
- Experience in hands-on website management and social media.
- Experience in programme coordination, meeting facilitation and documentation would be an advantage.
- Working knowledge of UN and Government systems and administration is desired.
- Demonstrable excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Excellent working knowledge of English and Amharic. Familiarity with other Ethiopian local languages would be an advantage.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.