Communications Analyst, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Communications Analyst, Addis Ababa
NATIONAL POST: Communications Analyst, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, NO-A
Job ID: 22479
Location: East and Southern Africa
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Rotation: This post is non-rotational.
The Programme Analyst, Communication will be based in the Country Office in Addis Ababa under the supervision of the Programme Analyst Communication (NOB)
UNFPA Ethiopia communication unit supports the reproductive health, population and development, and gender programmes; disseminate information on these issues and increase and maintain UNFPA visibility within and outside the country. The ability of the office to prepare and disseminate reports, briefing materials, multi-media presentations, and manage an UNFPA Ethiopia web site, social media pages and other visibility and advocacy activities depend on building a strong communication team. This has necessitated the recruitment of an assistant Communication Officer. Under the supervision of the Representative and working in a team with the National Communication Officer, the assistant Communication Officer will substantively support the implementation of the UNFPA Ethiopia Country Office Communication Strategy –
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Keeps abreast of the programme development and implementation, and ensures proactive involvement in the design and implementation of Communication activities in support of the Reproductive Health, including access to Family Planning services, Safe Motherhood, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI), and HIV/AIDS.
- Supports the UNFPA communication activities at all levels to reduce gender based violence,
- Support communication activities around issues of population and development
- Supports the country office efforts in advocacy and resources mobilisation, in favour of the programme implementation;
- Promotes innovative and creative approaches in response to the needs of the programme in the area of communication;
- Builds and maintains strong media and advocacy networks and relationships, ensuring regular media events, meetings of the Representative with key media persons,
- Contributes to the production and dissemination of communication and advocacy materials, including brochures, posters, pamphlets, programme and fact sheets, and press releases, and quarterly magazine as and when needed, with special attention to the promotion of human rights in terms of access of women, men and young people to quality reproductive health and the fight against gender based violence;
- Participates in drafting and dissemination of media statements, speeches and press releases;
- Provides support for constant scanning of UNFPA-supported research, surveys, assessments, field-visit reports to identify, capture and make optimal communications capital/material of these for advocacy, media and capacity building purposes of the UNFPA staff, the UN system and UNFPA partners;
- Provides support in timely preparation and response to global, regional and national media and advocacy events linked to Reproductive health, Gender, and population and development
- Edit reports/proposals/studies, press releases, speeches to ensure quality, cultural and gender sensitivity and social inclusion and use as resources for advocacy and fund-raising purposes;
- Liaises and coordinate with regional and sub-regional communication officers, as well as program staff in advocacy efforts, including advocacy activities;
- Prepares timely response to the queries of the media, liaising as necessary with HQs Media Branch when sensitive situations arise, in particular for responding to misinformation
- Regularly update the social media pages of the Country Office
- Participate in joint UN communication activities in the framework of the UN Communication Group
- Contribute to the establishment of a regular partnership with media
- Plan and organize travel to locations throughout Ethiopia to gather information, research topics, film and photograph specific sites and interview key people/beneficiaries to visually document activities for use in publications, web sites or video documentaries.
- Organize field missions for visiting donors, partners, journalists etc
- Engage in the planning and execution of advocacy activities timetables
- Prepare annual budgets, budget revisions and work plans, in consultation with the Assistant Representative
- Promote information and knowledge-sharing of the program good practices and model resources and support advocacy and promotional aspects of the maternal health programs.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the supervisor or as required by the post.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in social sciences, journalism, communications and other related fields
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in communication work,
- Fluency in oral and written English
Proficiency in current office software applications
- Good knowledge of media and public relations;
- Strong advocacy skills;
- At least three years of increasingly responsible experience in public relations and communications;
- Excellent oral and written communications and editing skills in English;
- A thorough understanding of the UN system in general, and especially UNFPA mandate, policies and operations, as well as the current development topics and political issues in Ethiopia
Familiarity with communications approaches for planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies
â- Commitment to UNFPA Values and Guiding Principles;
â- Developing People/Fostering Innovation and Empowerment/Performance Management;
â- Team Work/Communication/Self-Management
â- Strategic Thinking/Results Orientation and Commitment to Excellence/Decision Making;
â- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Learning
â- Ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team of specialists
â- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda
â- Results-based programme development and management
â- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
â- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
â- Resource mobilization (Programme)
â- Job knowledge
Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
This is a project funded post.
For any questions or comments please contact firstname.lastname@example.org