United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is looking for qualified applicants for following open position in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Communication Officer- UNDP
- Location : Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIA
- Additional Category : Gender Equality
- Type of Contract : Service Contract
- Post Level : SB-4
- Languages Required : English
- Duration of Initial Contract : 12 Months with possibility of extension
Expected Duration of Assignment : 12 Months with possibility of extension
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- UN Women Ethiopia plays a dual role as the Country Office for Ethiopia and as the Liaison Office to the Africa Union Commission (AUC) and Economic Commission for Africa (ECA). The ECO is guided by its five years Strategic Note that runs from 2021- 2023 which builds on progress made and lessons learned from the implementation of the previous SN (2017-2020) while also responding to the global Strategic Plan 2018-2021 which is aligned to the current UNSDCF.
- The series evaluations further recommended that,for UN Women to become a knowledge hub and a partner of choice on GEWE at both Ethiopia as well as regional level, there is need to strengthen its internal capacity in communications, knowledge management and advocacy. A communications and knowledge management strategy/plan (for the CO as well as for individual programmes) aligned with RO strategy and plan would support clear and systematically organized internal and external communications and knowledge management.
- It is on this background that UN Women is strengthening the Communications Team and seeking the services of a competent Communications officer to coordinate and promote the different coordination structures in the country, the Donor Group on Gender Equality (DGGE), Sector Working Group on GEWE (SWG-GEWE), UNW-CSOAG and the Weekly webinar, Steering Committee on Development of a Gender Policy, the Mapping on GEWE, etc.. In addition, the communication officer will provide technical support on the work around data and gender statistics in collaboration with the coordination team.
- Reporting to the National Program Coordinator (NPC), the Communications Officer is responsible for assisting in the NPC and the team in the planning and implementation of Joint programs with MoWSA, CSA, Ministry of Planning and Development (MoPD, CSOs to enhance UN Women’s visibility and credibility of UN Women with govt, development partners, CSOs, UN Agencies , the media and the public.
To this effect, the Communications Officer works in close collaboration with the coordination team and other Programme, and communication teams of staff of UN Women
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and design communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans to coordinate UN Women’s coordination role
- Prepare and conduct communication needs assessments for the coordination team including that of key partners from Govt, CSOs, media, UN System development partners.
- Analyze requirements and synthesize demands from key partners to ensure gender perspective.
- Contribute to the communication need of UN Women ECO in consultation with the ECO communication team,
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and draft reports in consultation with the coordination and the communication team
- Properly document events, success stories and case stories for wider circulation as per UN Women communication guidance and policies
- Coordinate and implement the development and dissemination of advocacy materials with strategic partners
- Provide technical support to the development and production of communication instruments and materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and drafts of articles, and manage its dissemination.
- Identify and propose information opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners.
- Provide technical to the promotion and disseminate advocacy materials, publications, and campaigns.
- Collaborate with the communication team regarding the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials.
Coordinate media relations
- Collaborate with UN Women communication team in maintaining relationships with media in country; maintain and update database of relevant press.
Seek guidance from UN Women communication specialist in responding to a variety of inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence up on clearance from the NPC
- Facilitate round table discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions for press, as required.Draft talking points, speeches, minutes, and proceedings for records
- Secure media engagement for events and joint field visits led by the coordination team.
Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors
- Collaborate with the coordination and the communication team in undertake donor intelligence to foster new partnership and strengthen existing ones such as DGGE, CSO-AG, SWG-GEWE, etc.
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, UN Agencies, donors, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches key partners
- Provide technical inputs for donors update and meetings on UN Women’s work around data and gender statistics on the different coordination structures working towards the realization of GEWE up on clearance by the NPC,
- Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the work of the coordination team (Women Count programme, Joint program with MoWSA, MoPD) in alignment with UN Women SN.
Facilitate meetings and training for partners on evidence-based advocacy and effective communication, as appropriate.
- Core Values:
- Respect for Diversity
- Team spirit
- c5uya5x DmW5B2
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Good knowledge of web-based knowledge management systems
- Good understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Good knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Good knowledge of local country media landscape
- Good communication, presentation, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 2 years of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications, or advocacy.
- Experience in media relations is an asset;
- Experience in the use of social media.
- Experience in photography, video production and design will be an added advantage
- Fluency in English and Amharic is required.
Working knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
How to Apply
All applications must include (as an attachment) a completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment and candidates are required to include in the P-11 form links for their previously published reports and articles completed within the last two years. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided?on the basis of?qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)
Application Deadline : 09-Feb-22(Midnight New York, USA)
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: