The Ministry of Mines Petroleum & Natural Gas is seeking to employ qualified professional for the post specified below for the implementation EEITI project.
Country: Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- Name of position/Title: Communication Officer for Ethiopian Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EEITI) hosted in the Ministry of Mines, Petroleum & Natural Gas
Assignment Title: Implementation of EEITI Communication Strategy;
The Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) is a global standard that promotes transparency and accountability in the oil, gas and mining sectors.
EITI implementation has two core components:
- Transparency: oil, gas and mining companies disclose information about their operations, including payments to the government, and the government discloses its receipts and other relevant information on the industry. The figures are reconciled by an Independent Administrator (IA), and publishing annually alongside other information about the extractive industries in accordance with the EITI Standard.
- Accountability: a multi-stakeholder group (MSG) with representatives from government, companies and civil society is responsible for overseeing the process and communicate the findings of the EITI reporting, and promote the integration of EITI into broader transparency efforts in that country.
The Ethiopian Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EEITI) has been officially launched in July 2009 to ensure transparency in the extractive sector of Ethiopia. Three entities, that is, Civil Society Organizations, Extractive Companies and the Government are the main constituents of the EEITI. This initiative is being housed within the Ministry of Mines, Petroleum and Natural Gas. The National Steering Committee (NSC), drawn from the above three entities, govern and administer the EEITI. This hosting Ministry together with MSG has produced communication strategy to promote the governance of the natural resource and make the government and business sectors to be accountable & transparent in managing the revenue generated from the sector.
The Ethiopian Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative is now looking to hire eligible local communication officer who can design and implement the EEITI Communication strategy through promotion, communication and production of different communication materials.
The qualification criteria and experience requirements are:
- Minimum of BA or equivalent in Foreign Language and Literature, Journalism, political science, Mass-communications or public relation, IT and other related fields;
- Minimum of 4 years working experience preferable with experience in promotion and application or usage of social media;
- Experience in reporting and production of fliers, brochures and etc ;
- Good analytical skills as well as professionalism and ability to organize work efficiently and in harmony with other staff members;
- Collect and Organize Stories and Visuals (pictures, films, interviews, and feed backs) to communicate the global and local stakeholders electronically and other means’s;
- Handle press/media relationship including strategies to get media attention for EEITI;
- Experience in managing web-sites
- Position Title: Financial expert
Objective: A financial expert is needed to ensure that the World Bank financial management regulations and process are adhered to, and to ensure smooth operation of the projects.
Duties and responsibilities
The financial Management expert will directly report to the Director of ministry of Ministry’s Procurement, Finance and Property Administration Directorate and Project Coordinator/ Director of EEITI.
The incumbent specific duties will entail:
- Discharging day to day accounting transactions, processing disbursements and maintaining expenditure control;
- Maintaining and keeping books and preparing regular financial reports and annual accounts for auditing on timely basis;
- Reconcile the special and local currency accounts on monthly basis;
- Preparing Statement of Expenditure (SOE )on monthly basis, processing withdrawal applications, initiating payment applications and ensure overall financial control systems in consultation with MoM PFPAD & EEITIHead;
- Producing financial information and reports on projects status for use by project management and donor agencies,
- Ensuring that all financial transactions emanating from EEITI projects are in accordance with government and World bank accounting systems, regulations and requirements,
- Follow up on contracts signed with suppliers and consultants regarding validity, Implementation and payments;
- Working closely with relevant Head of Accounting to ensure that financial transactions involving the EEITI projects accounts are captured in the ledgers and budget books to facilitate preparation of timely and accurate annual financial reports;
- Maintaining a viable financial management system that readily provides information and data for measuring performance when linked with project outputs;
- Maintaining a data base for all expenditure incurred under EEITI projects and preparing consolidated expenditure reports on regular basis for use by management and other users;
- Monitoring and maintaining statistical and financial information on projects expenditure on assets and levels of disbursements per category of expenditure for EEITI project;
- Coordinating and maintaining financial data effective and accurate preparation of project budgets for incorporation into government budget and also ensuring that necessary supplementary budgets are approved on timely basis;
- Liaise with project auditors for effective and efficient auditing of the projects accounts;
- Perform other jobs assigned by the Head of MoM Procurement, Finance and Property Administration Directorate (PFPAD) and Project coordinator/ EEITI Directorate Director
The key output will be a sound, professionally managed, satisfactory financial management function at the project; meeting the international financial management good practices and standards.
- University degree in finance/accounting
- Good understanding of government finance and accounting system and other legal requirements for Ethiopia;
- Sound knowledge of financial and accounting policies, rules and regulations pertaining to international organizations; knowledge of World Bank FM regulation and processes,
- 4 years working experience in a government accounting system of which 2 years with World Bank funded project;
- Fluency in English and good computer literacy.