Position- Clinical Mentor for Visceral Leishmaniasis
Category- Health Care
Location– Bahirdar with very frequent travel to visceral leishmaniasis treatment facilities in Amhara region. Employment Type– Full time
Type of Contract– 9 months with a possible extension.
Salary– Basic monthly salary of 30,000 birr and other incentives
KaIaCORE is a partnership leading a 4.5 year DFID funded initiative to support endemic countries in achieving elimination or improving control of visceral leishmaniasis (VL). The scope is wide, and encompasses treatment and access, surveillance and epidemiology, behavior-change communication, operational research, vector control and monitoring and evaluation. KalaCORE in Ethiopia is implemented mainly through Amigos de Silva, an INGO with more than eight years’ experience in the country.
The clinical mentor for visceral leishmaniasis will be part of the Amigos de Silva team working in KaIaCORE program and will be accountable directly to the Clinical Coordinator and Country program manager, eventually. The position holder will be responsible to do clinical mentoring for leishmaniasis in VL treatment facilities found in Amhara region.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Perform clinical mentoring for the facilities which provide treatment for VL according to standards.
- Train focal mentors for VL in each facility so that they can maintain the mentoring program. In the early phase of the mentoring, he can select potential focal mentors from each facility.
- Coordinate activities of other members of the clinical mentoring team in the region.
- Train how to do BMA and splenic aspirations for physicians working in VL treatment facilities.
- Involve in clinical management of VL patients in health facilities when he/she goes to the facilities for mentoring. Perform review of case management by doing bedside round and participate in discussions on cases.
- Ensure program progresses and achievements are regularly tracked, documented and communicated with the clinical coordinator and country program manager.
- Properly follow the mentoring checklist and solve challenges related to diagnosis and management of VL cases together with other clinicians.
- Notifying the responsible bodies of each facilities about results of the mentoring and directions of improvement.
- Ensure the availability of diagnostics and treatments for VL in all VL treatment facilities.
- Degree of Doctor of Medicine with license.
- Experience in NGO and especially in leishmaniasis is a plus