United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is looking for a qualified applicant for it’s open position of Team Leader
Budget & Programming Officer, Fixed Term, NOA- Addis Ababa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Fixed Term, NOA
UNIT/DIVISION: Budget and Programming
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
REPORTING LINE: Head of Budget and Programming
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This job is found in WFP Ethiopia Country office based in Addis Ababa. The job holder reports to the Budget & Programming Officer.
Jobholders at this level are expected, under general supervision, to take responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. At this level, the incumbent is typically involved in budget and programming activities and analytical work of limited complexity, and support the collation, maintenance, analysis and reporting of information to maximise the effectiveness of services. They are expected to use own discretion to address unforeseen situations seeking advice from supervisor. Jobholders support management of budgets, the pipeline and funds confirmed to WFP by our Donors and are expected to provide guidance to other staff.
To support the delivery of budget and resource analysis and programming activities, partnering with mainly activity managers and supply chain team to apply best practice approaches that support efficient, effective, and compliant utilisation of funds.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Create and review limited number of project budget plans and monitor ongoing project performance against budget, ensuring adherence to guidance and policies, and providing financial analysis and advice to optimise resources.
- Support monitoring of fund utilization, and advance financing, loan and borrowing/repayment and refinancing arrangements; and alert supervisors to approaching deadlines for unassigned funds and potential resource shortfalls/surpluses.
- Monitor actions related to project closure and resource transfer and refer potential issues to the supervisors.
- Support senior colleagues in monitoring the resource pipeline to maximize operational effectiveness, following standards and processes, and providing advice on resource allocations based on severity of pipeline shortfalls using relevant pipeline tools.
Support the preparation of food-demand plans to support the replenishment process through the corporate Global Commodity Management Facility and provide information to guide RB/HQ decision-making when multiple projects compete for the same stock.
- Create and review budget and project documentation and ensure relevant resource data is recorded in internal systems for reference, in line with WFP standards and procedures.
- Contribute towards the development of a limited number of projects, plans, processes, and procedures ensuring compliance with wider budget programming policies and WFP standards.
- Collate and analyse data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reports, to enable informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to senior management and external stakeholders.
- Contribute ideas to senior officers for improvement to systems, techniques, tools, processes, and procedures to better monitor and manage budgets and funds.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff in budgeting, fund management and operational planning through answering queries and contributing to updating training materials, and guidelines.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices and contribute to technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of financial risks.
Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, or other relevant fields, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Experience: Five or more years of progressively responsible support work experience in pipeline, grants, and budget management work, including at least three years in Resource Management or other related fields.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has performed financial analysis and supported the preparation of complex financial documents.
- Has supported the preparation of operational budgets and reviewed budget performance through in-depth analysis.
- Has contributed to preparation of the pipeline report, collated required data for the pipeline, and supported operational planning.
- Has provided analytical inputs for the development of budgets, financial plans, or analysis.
- Description of the behavior expected for the proficiency level
- Internal Controls & Risk Management
- Utilizes understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance and ensure data integrity.
- Performance Budgeting, Analysis and Reporting
- Analyzes budgets and forecasts to support the development of recommendations for senior leadership on financial and business planning matters in accordance with Value for Money principles.
- Resource Management
- Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders.
- Performance Management
Applies knowledge of WFP’s performance management system to manage resources and relationships to undertake monitoring actions or deliver straightforward evaluations of operations, programmes, or processes to WFP monitoring and/or evaluation quality standards.
Applies knowledge of WFP programme and supply chain principles to develop and/or review project budget plans.
The position is open to Only Ethiopian National
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
How to Apply
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Closing Date:20 April 2022
Addis Jobs is the most popular website for job seekers in Ethiopia.Every day, we connect thousands of people to new job opportunities.
Addis Jobs in Ethiopia
Our mission is to help people get jobs. We work towards improving the recruitment journey through daily job posts. We create a collaborative workplace that strives to create the best experience for job seekers.
Get Daily Job Alert jobs Available on our Telegram Channels: