Addis Ababa,The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The Position: The International Livestock Research institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an Accountant to provide efficient quality service in the field of finance and accounting in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standard (IFRS)
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and form productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases. A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food secure future ILRI has its headquarters In Nairobi Kenya a principal campus in Addis Ababa Ethiopia and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa (Mali, Mozambique and Nigeria) and in South Asia (India and Sri Lanka), Southeast Asia (Laos, Thailand and Vietnam) and East Asia (China). www.ilri.org.
Main duties and Responsibilities:
- Verify the payments requests received do have sufficient/appropriate supporting evidence are mathematically correct, authentic, comply with policy and procedures.
- Analyses and assigns appropriate arid applicable account codes, cost center codes and project codes and preparing for data entry
- Inputs transactions into the computer system from the documents earlier prepared and generating transaction listings, which serve as payment vouchers for checking and approval.
- Process payments within 4 days after the receipt of the request
- Record the completion of the request in outlook task
- Verify the travel authorization submitted is correct, approved and comply with ILRI travel policy requirements
- Prepare advance payments within 4 days after the receipt ot the travel authorization.
- Analyze staff accounts for the units/hosted institutes allocated.
- Process advance liquidation or expense recording within 5 days after the receipt of the original invoices and relevant documents by verifying the supporting documents presented ore appropriate. sufficient and in line with ILRI’s travel policy.
- Verify the summary and the supporting documents presented for petty cash replenishment are sufficient and appropriate.
- Replenish petty cash within, 4 days after the receipt of the petty cash summary report and supporting documents.
- Conduct periodic petty cash verification through quarterly cash count and reconciliation.
- Vouches the monthly internal billing documents for completeness and accuracy and resolves irregularities with concerned Service Units;
- Assigns appropriate codes and journalize the transactions;
- Follow-up the timely receipts of the accounting returns from the units to ensure that recharges are processed in their respective months.
- Follow up the collection of invoices from credit suppliers within 5 days after the receipt of the goods or services.
- Perform matching of the invoice with the PO and GRN.
- Follow up processing of payment to suppliers within the credit period.
- Prepare monthly report and invoices before the 15th of the following month and ensure submission to the corresponding institute.
- Attends to queries of internal and external parties regarding the responsibility areas
- Advises the Support units and HI Finance Manager on any outstanding issues in the responsibility areas.
- Keeps files of all relevant documents.
- Acts as a dual custodian of the Institutes unused cheque
- Undertakes any other assignment that may be giver by the supervisor.
- BA Degree in Accounting, Finance or related fields
- Any Accounting Qualifications such as ACCA, CPA is a plus.
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience
- Work experience at least in part in on international NGO or an international organization
- Good computer skills.
- High computer knowledge (Microsoft Word, Excel Access and Accounting software)
- Good written and oral communication in English language
- Integrity and capacity to keep confidential information
- Ability to organize work and archives efficiently
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural organization
- Knowledge of Agresso (ABW-OCS) or ERP is an added advantage
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Job level: 2C
Monthly Bose Salary: Birr 16,619 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.