Contract Producer / Trainer Job at BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action:
BBC Media Action uses media and communication to reduce poverty and as a force for positive social change. To achieve this, BBC Media Action partners with civil society, local media and governments to:
Produce creative programmes in multi-media formats, based on robust research, which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action has been working in Ethiopia since 2001 across a range of health, resilience and livelihoods issues. In 2016 we reached 21 million people with our programmes. Our activities and training increase knowledge and shape practices in ways that help our audiences to improve their wellbeing and livelihoods.
BBC Media Action is expanding its portfolio of work in Ethiopia. To support this new work, BBC Media Action is expanding its team in Ethiopia to ensure that projects are delivered to time, to budget and to the highest standards, in accordance with BBC editorial values as well as BBC Media Action methodologies.
Overall Purpose of Job
As part of a creative team, produce high quality radio drama, public service announcements (or spots) and assist in the development and delivery of training and mentoring for partners on communication skills, and supporting a discussion programme to support improved sanitation and hygiene practices for babies and young children. The Producer will also support the development of accompanying discussion facilitation guides and may also work across BBC Media Action’s other production content, as required.
Get Jobs on Email. Join our list | አዳዲስ ስራዎች በኢሜይል እንዲመጣልዎ ይመዝገቡ::
Subscribe to our mailing list and get Latest Jobs on your email.
Assist the Senior Producer / Trainer and relevant departments in all activities required to produce and distribute radio drama and spots on time and within budget:
- Support the production of a mini-drama series in Afaan Oromo and/or Amharic , based on research and developed through BBC Media Action’s approach, maintaining high quality creative and professional standards throughout.
- Conceptualise and produce high impact, creative Spots (Public Service Announcements) in Afaan Oromo and/or Amharic.
- Undertake research to ensure outputs are relevant, relatable and true to life
- Guiding the writing of engaging scripts based on BBC Media Action editorial values and drawing out creativity from artists and team members.
- Commissioning music, writers, actors and other staff needed as part of production.
- Work on-location and in the field.
- Evaluate and respond to feedback from audiences in the form SMS or email.
- Supply content to BBC Media Action’s website, reflecting key achievements of project.
- Use a range of audio and digital equipment, recording and editing in single track and multi-track to the highest professional standards (training will be given if necessary).
- Be willing to take on new or different roles, including working across the organisation’s range of communications outputs, as required.
With the Senior Producer/Trainer, design and deliver training programmes for partners:
- To work with production teams from a variety of cultural backgrounds, languages, seniority and technical ability in order to improve the production quality of radio programmes at partner radio stations and increase audience engagement. This requires strong production skills in creating, researching, and planning, recording and editing broadcast content, particularly related to discussion and call in shows.
- Establish and maintain good relationships at all levels within a partner station.
- To help originate, research, prepare and produce interviews, discussions, and complete programmes
- Administrative responsibility for collecting and logging the progress of trainees, and reporting to BBC Media Action Ethiopia management to inform future training strategy.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to explain complex ideas in a clear and engaging way, and draw on a variety of ways to demonstrate new ideas.
- Responsibility to represent BBC Media Action across Ethiopia’s media organisations.
Plan and take responsibility for the efficient use of allocated resources and production budgets:
- Understand simple budgeting and keep track of expenditure.
- Comply with BBC Media Action systems for documenting and reporting production and training.
- Diligently log and file all documents relating to programmes such as running orders, scripts and reports, and demonstrate individual authority and leadership in responsible management of shared resources including the shared drive and contacts database.
- Play an active role in managing administrative and logistical requirements of production including travel, risk assessments and finances.
REPORTS TO: Senior Producer, Ethiopia
DURATION: 7 months (with possible extension)
CONTRACT: Local terms and conditions. Only eligible for Ethiopian Nationals or those legally able to work in Ethiopia. This contract is dependent on funding.
Required skills, knowledge and experience:
- B.A and two years’ relevant experience, or Diploma and four years’ relevant experience in radio production, drama or equivalent.
- Demonstrable understanding of the complexities of behaviour change and communication.
- An appreciation of the power of music and drama in people’s lives.
- Ability to spot a good storyline and identify people who can communicate this well to others.
- Keen interest in rural communities, their health and quality of life.
- Ability to communicate and help others to communicate with accuracy and clarity.
- Ability to breakdown complex ideas so that they are easy to understand and apply for training.
- At least basic understanding of budgets and planning activities.
- Fluency in Amharic and/or Afaan Oromo is essential.
- Functional written and spoken English.
- Good keyboard/computer skills.
- Experience in training others is desirable.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Managing Relationships – has an ability to establish rapport quickly and effectively with new people/contacts. Takes care to maintain and develop existing relationships. Works harmoniously with a wide range of people and deals sensitively with contributors, customers and suppliers as well as with colleagues. Understands the demands and pressures on others
- Influencing and Persuading – able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change. Can identify key influencers in the organisation. Can adopt a range of strategies and styles of influencing depending on circumstances. Constantly develops and expands own sources of influence
- Developing Others – able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise). Willing to foster the development of potential in others. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
- Creative Thinking – able to come up with creative ideas and turn them into compelling and high impact radio. Respectful and collaborative approach to creative ideas of colleagues.
- Planning and organisation – able to think ahead in order to establish efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Ability to prioritise, taking into account all the relevant issues and factors, such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Teamwork – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Resilience – can manage emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Flexibility – able to adapt and work effectively in a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
- Time and Stress Management – good time management and ability to prioritize a heavy workload under pressure.
- Self-development – able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
See How To Apply Below
When you apply please notify that you found this job on AddisJobs.net
How to ApplyTo apply, please write a letter in English, explaining – in an engaging way – why you are the right person for the job, including examples of how you meet the values and experience mentioned in the job description. The letter should be sent with your C.V. to: Info@et.bbcmediaaction.org Please ensure the job title you are applying for is in the subject field of your email. Application Deadline March 20, 2018 Candidates will be long listed based largely on the quality of their covering letter. NB: Candidates should have Ethiopian nationality or have a valid Ethiopian work permit. Please note that these are not international postings.
BBC Media Action is an international charity, which uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries.
86 total views, 1 today