ContractProcurement Projects Manager
UNOPS Vacancy: Procurement Projects Manager, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Vacancy code VA/2016/B5308/10512
Position title Procurement Projects Manager
Department/office AFR, ETOH, Ethiopia
Duty station Addis Ababa , Ethiopia
Contract type International ICA
Contract level IICA-3
Duration 12 Months
Application period 15-Jul-2016 to 29-Jul-2016
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information – Job-specific
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and WFP, and other international organizations. In 2014, the UNOPS Executive Director decided to establish the UNOPS Ethiopia Operational Hub (ETOH), which manages and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, as well as Sudan and Djibouti.
UNOPS ETOH activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources and logistics support for implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services to partners to facilitate effective procurement, supply and financial management.
UNOPS ETOH is looking for a Procurement Projects’ Manager, who will be responsible for overseeing the procurement projects portfolio of the Ethiopia Office. These projects focus on providing key goods and services to various UNOPS partners in Ethiopia, such as UN organizations and government ministries. These goods and services include ambulances and other service vehicles, ICT and medical equipment, etc. The Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the project(s) and provides services to the different donors, partners and beneficiaries. He/she is expected to meet and exceed the organizations performance and delivery goals. S/he will be responsible for supervising the project personnel including Project Support Officers, and provide overall guidance to ensure the success of relevant projects.
The Project Manager will be responsible for managing the relevant portfolio of projects, including their delivery, issues and risks. This will require that s/he prepares and follows up on implementation plans, and oversees the status of various procurement and supply-chain activities.
- Establish solid working relationship with the project board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), client and key stakeholder
- Produce project initiation documents (PID), Legal Agreements, and develop a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of the partners/stakeholders to ensure the project(s) products are capable of meeting the business cases for both UNOPS and the client
- Ensure success of the project(s) based on the success criteria of UNOPS engagements, which are linked to the below responsibilities
- Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance)
- Manage the information flows between the Project Board/OC Director and the project(s)
Delivery and Performance
- Develop and maintain project plans
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
- Manage the production of the required products, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary
- Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers
- Authorize Work Packages
- Advise the Project Board and OC Manager of any deviations from the plan
- Identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved
- Manage and review product quality and ensure products are accepted
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers
- Identify and report potential business opportunities for UNOPS to supervisor
- Identify and report threats to UNOPS internal business case to supervisor
Get Latest Jobs on your e-mail
- Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions)
- Prepare/adapt the following plans for approval by the Project Board: I. Project Initiation Documentation; II. Stage/Exception Plans and relevant Product Descriptions
- Prepare highlight, end stage, end project and handvoer reports and operational closure checklist.
- Maintain the following: i. Electronic Blue File; ii. Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by those practices as per OD12.
- Ensure that all expenditure comply with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR).
- Manage budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel
- Manage and remain accountable for expenditures against the budget (based on accurate financial reports)
- Where the Project Manager has no delegation as a committing officer, s/he retains these responsibilities and will monitor and instruct/request others to carry out the relevant commitments and disbursements.
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice
- Actively interact with other PMs and the PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies
- Complete lessons learned as per reporting format
- Incorporate lessons learned from others as per planning format
- Lead and motivate the project management team
- Ensure that behavioural expectations of team members are established
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted
- Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the OC Director
- Have a thorough understanding of UNOPS personnel contract modalities (including ICA and Staff)
- Select, recruit and train team as required by project plans
- Perform the Team Manager role, unless appointed to another person(s)
- Perform Project Support role, unless appointed to another person or corporate/programme function
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS standards
- Creativity and Innovation: Is able to challenge mind-sets and think outside the box, as well as improvise in dynamic situations. Exhibits original and innovative thinking in his/her work. Is solutions-oriented.
- Change-Orientation: Recognizes the need for change, stimulates innovation, and is able to deal with ambiguity and resistance. Incremental change and continuous improvement are more viable approaches in UNOPS than revolutionary change.
- Result-Orientation: Is focused and ambitious. S/he displays tenacity, resilience, and has the capability to tolerate stress. They have effective planning and organization skills.
- Strategic-Orientation: Demonstrates business insight and sees the big picture. He/she is aware of trends and is able to come up with a vision.
- Decision-Making: Shows risk awareness and is able to evaluate options and solutions. S/he exercises judgment in making sound decisions. They are decisive.
- Communicates with Impact: Makes a positive personal impact in all forms of communication. Listens actively and is able to articulate own thoughts convincingly in both verbal and written form. Makes effective presentations.
- Networking Skills: Builds internal and external partnerships and alliances for the exchange of knowledge, experiences and services for mutual benefit.
- People, Performance, and Development: Facilitates personal and professional development by giving others constructive feedback, coaches, mentors, manages, and empowers for performance, competence, and career development.
- Advanced University Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, Development Studies, Supply-Chain Management or other relevant discipline.
- University Degree (bachelor’s degree / first level) with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline, may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree.
- At least seven years of progressive experience in project management required, with focus on project implementation, partner management, monitoring and reporting.
- At least five years of progressive procurement experience required, involving purchasing of high-value goods & services for complex projects.
- Experience with managing teams and units, particularly in the area of project and/or procurement management, highly desirable.
- PRINCE2® Foundation certification required
- PRINCE2® Practitioner certification would be an asset, but required completion within first 6 months of on-boarding
- CIPS 4 and above and/or other procurement certification highly desirable.
- Complete the UNOPS Project Management Foundation course, and UNOPS Procurement Operations Training (within one year after signing this TOR).
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of French is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor
Contract level: IICA 3
Contract duration: 12 Months with possibility of extension ( Subject to satisfactory performance and funds availability)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link
See How To Apply Below
When you apply please notify you found this job on AddisJobs.net
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
How to Apply
Interested applicants click on below link to Apply. Please mention you found this Job on AddisJobs.net
3847 total views, 1 today