ECA – Engineer/Architect, P3
Job Title : Engineer/Architect, P3
Department/ Office : Economic Commission for Africa
Duty Station : ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia
Posting Period : 12 December 2013-10 February 2014
Job Opening number : 13-ENG-ECA-32285-R-ADDIS ABABA(G)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational Setting and Reporting
The post is located in the Facilities Management Section, at the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA). The incumbent will report to the Chief of FMS.
The incumbent will be responsible for the implementation of all expansion, alteration, improvement and major maintenance works including coordination with other projects ensuring implementation timely, efficiently and within budget. Schedule, all day to day renovations, alterations and improvement of Secretariat buildings, roads, walkways, gardens, parking etc. ensuring that the said works are completed in time and to the applicable standards. The responsibilities of the incumbent include, but will not be limited to:-
1. Directing the preparation and up-dating of project documentation, including project plan, project schedule, scope of work, drawings, and technical documents for competitive tender; and managing the evaluation of technical proposals; and serving as a principal certifying officer for all alteration, improvement and major maintenance works;
2. Overseeing the on-site construction works during all phases of the major and alteration and improvement projects through adequate contract management arrangements to ensure the contractors’ compliance with their contractual obligations;
3. Managing all relevant aspects of financial management of the construction projects, administer and follow-up all regular payments and performance and reporting to FMS Chief or the designate;
4. Plan, organize and supervises the work of the technical Sub-Unit within FMS;
5. Plan construction and renovation projects, including conceptual design, identification of design parameters, analysis of functional/special needs and recommendations on alternative solutions;
6. Developing standards for existing and future facilities and guidelines for the on-going management of buildings;
7. Draft status reports, briefing papers, updates and ad-hoc report on status of the various stages of the planning design, construction, environment, safety-related projects and common-service aspects of the Secretariat facilities;
8. Assist in the implementation of work plan of the Section and in managing the resources, and participate in the preparation of biennial budget and spending plan of the Section;
9. Coach, train and supervise general service staff in the technical Unit, coordinate specialized needs for special events or special construction and operational issues;
10. Manages comprehensive ECA facility maintenance, construction, and modification programs on a continuing basis, to include technical, administrative, budget (both expenditure and biennium planning) and related operational requirements, ensures uninterrupted functioning of all infrastructural support systems. All actions required for effective office and external space utilization and upkeep, suggests relevant budgets, oversees implementation;
11. Establish quality maintenance and service standards;
12. Supervises contractor performance, evaluating respective results relative objectives, ascertains completion and compliance to the requirements and endorsing release of remuneration or taking corrective actions, as necessary;
13. Analyze existing facilities and projects future needs for the immediate next biennium;
14. Monitors office space allocation, use and projections for tenant UN Agencies, evaluates rental and cost-sharing agreements, plans and executes re partitioning or construction works;
15. Reviewing space allocation request, design and implement procedures and related standards;
16. Collaborating with UN local agencies concerning re partitioning and space allocation principles;
17. Periodically makes comparative analysis on rental and utilities charges, space allocation principles;
Get Latest Jobs on your e-mail
18. Oversees the facilities of the SROs civil works in close coordination with Electrical and Mechanical Units;
19. Perform other duties, as directed by the Chief FMS or his/her designate;
Professionalism: Ability to apply engineering skills and to participate in engineering projects, including preparation of cost estimates, research of data and preparing graphs. Ability to identify and analyze engineering data of significant depth and complexity. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Advanced University Degree (Masters Degree or equivalent) in engineering, architecture or related fields. A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years progressive experience in applying methodologies on facilities’ major improvement and maintenance projects.Experience in office space management, project planning, execution and evaluation of engineering compliance standards is required. Qualifying years of experience are calculated following the receipt of the first-level university degree recognized by the United Nations.
Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
The assessment method for this Job Opening is technical written test and competency based
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
See How To Apply Below
When you apply please notify you found this job on AddisJobs.net
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
How to Applyhttps://inspira.un.org/psc/UNCAREERS/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/UN_CUSTOMIZATIONS.UN_JOB_DETAIL.GBL?Page=UN_JOB_DETAIL&Action=A&JobOpeningId
1531 total views, 1 today